Tuesday, February 21, 2012

lager time



Like the rest of the beer nerd society, I hate lagers. I think that the standard euro lager is piss which sometimes can be an alternative choice to Vodka when the sole purpose of consuming alcahol is to get drunk.

I had not tried this in over a year, it has become one of those beers that I often think about buying but never do, due to the fact that it is a lager. Big mistake! This could easily the best lager in the world. Although I´m not entirely sure why this is a lager and not a pale ale, I´m going with it nonetheless. This is delightfully crispy, beautifully balanced as the malt amount blends perfectly with Cascade and First Gold. Back in 2006 I said that this was the hoppiest beers ever produced in Iceland. Back then, it probably was, but much has happened since then. There is no doubt that this beer paved the way.

The brewery is a bit mysterious these days. It went (I think!) bankrupt a few years ago, was then taken over and these days I´m not quite sure who actually owns it. It lost their main brewmaster to Borg Brugghús and I have no clue who is the brewmaster these days. Whoever he is now, he´s doing an excellent job, and the quality remains. They still brew a fantastic imperial stout and some exclusives for Sweden and Canada, I will feature more from this brewery in the coming weeks, until then, skál!

PS I´ve blogged about Ölvisholt in the past, a rant that features the awesome Suttungasumbl (now retired) and the controversy behind the label of their Easter beer a few years back..

No comments:

Post a Comment