Monday, June 18, 2012

canned craft beer



I must confess, I like the concept of craft beer in cans. I know people that think that bottles are the perfect vessel for a fine brew. This is not entirely correct, although I will prefer my Belgians bottled, as it´s nice and elegant for storage purpose..

On the other hand, an IPA in can is just genius. IPA is the sort of brew that is best enjoyed as fresh as possible, since the hops are a bit sensitive for time, light and long exposure to oxygen. The can is completely airtight, and there is no chance in hell that light or sunshine will ever hit the beer. The can also chills extremely fast compared to a bottle and is much much lighter. Hell, next time I´ll travel to the states, I´ll buy only cans for the trip home, it´ll will save me from overweight luggage! And here is the punch if you are still doubting me.. If you have any decency or taste buds that are not completely ruined by yellow piss, you will know, or at least think that beer from draft is the best, the tastiest and the preferred way to enjoy a cold brew. A can, an aluminum can, is just a mini keg! Huh, imagine that, a beer snob telling you about the wonders of canned beer! And also, the raisin in the end of the hot dog (an Icelandic saying) is that cans are environmentally friendlier than the glass bottle!

A lot of microbreweries in the states are canning their beer, namely big ones such as Sierra Nevada and Fat Tire, two giants that are an integral part of the craft beer boom and how craft beer transformed from the nerds garage into the hands of the average Joe. This DC Brau Corruption IPA was simply stunning, cloudy amber, delightfully piney aroma, big finish. Yummy! I was so lucky to get this can from a fellow blogger, Skye at Beer Fellows (which is an amazing blog btw) who was so kind to bring me a few and couple of amazing bottles. More on that later..

Don´t get me wrong though, I have nothing against bottles, as I love big brews in bombers or in 750ml corked bottles, but for fresh ales that are sensitive to light and are best when they are as fresh as a spring river, the can is the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment