Tuesday, September 18, 2012

US brewery spotlight : New Glarus



Back in 2004 I was so lucky to taste a great cherry beer called New Glarus Belgian Red. If my memory serves me right I got this bottle along with a fantastic Tripel from the same brewery from a Ratebeerian in Wisconsin after winning the NCAA pool that year. Little did I know of this special brew he sent me. Since then I have not found a Kriek or a fruit beer that matched that beer, and has since that day been one of the best beers I´ve sampled in my lifetime.

Fast forward to 2012. A fellow blogger is visiting Iceland and contacts me. After meeting him in downtown Reykjavik for a few drinks he informs that he is born and raised in Wisconsin and rates this brewery pretty highly, and also tells me that their beer is almost impossible to get outside of Wisconsin. So he made a promise that if I would ever visit him he would hook me up with some more of their stuff.

So when I met him 2 weeks ago in Washington he did just that! Gave me more of the amazing elixir that New Glarus brew to sample during my trip in the south.

Like with the Belgian Red, I had another amazing experience and a stand out in a certain style of beer. This time around it was the smoked. The Unplugged Smoked Rye Ale is simply an artwork of a beer, deep smokiness, and very big and sugary. Simply awesome. They are doing something very right over there in Wisconsin.

The Black IPA was very complex and delicate. I also got to sample the Very Naked and Spotted Cow, both low gravity beers but share a certain character. Both complex and unusual.

New Glarus have been around for some quite some time. Founded in 1993 by the Careys, Dan and Deborah, Deborah became the first woman to open up a brewery. Quite remarkebly, they also are one of the most rewarded brewery in the states, which is a fine achievement considering they only distribute within the state of Wisconsins.

The US is full of fantastic little micro breweries and it seems that New Glarus stands out among them. Big shout out to Skye over at Beer Fellows for the New Glarus hook up!

I will be writing more short segments on fantastic little and big breweries that are getting me excited..

No comments:

Post a Comment